At the EcoHouse, a program of the Ecology Center, DIG Cooperative, Inc. designed and installed the City of Berkeley's first permitted greywater system as well as California's first residential Constructed Wetland for the treatment of greywater. The following year, DIG led a volunteer rainwater catchment workshop which successfully installed a 1100 gallon Rainwater Catchment system and Earthworks garden in one day. The EcoHouse also demonstrates an easy to install Laundry to Landscape greywater system. As a result of the success of the projects stated above, DIG Coop initiated a partnership between the East Bay Municipal Water District and EcoHouse, which is now an official Water Smart Showcase Home.
Water Smart Showcase Home Features
- Constructed Wetland for greywater filtration
- Rainwater Catchment to irrigation
- Rainwater Harvesting via Earthworks
- Laundry to Landscape greywater system
- Drought tolerant landscaping